A few weeks ago, my good friend Michelle and I spent an afternoon in the kitchen taking some photos. Because you are not a health food blogger until there’s a photo shoot of you making a salad, amiright?
I decided to make this awesome quinoa and black bean salad. Although super easy to make, it is packed with good-for-you ingredients and a variety of vibrant, Mexican-inspired flavors. Scroll down for the recipe!
- 1 1/3 cups water
- About 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 3/4 cup black or red quinoa
- 1 green bell pepper, finely diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled, finely diced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 14-ounce can low sodium black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/3 cup toasted cashews, chopped
- 3 tablespoons chipotle sauce
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 1 tablespoon organic canola oil
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 avocado, diced
- Bring water and 1/4 teaspoon sea salt to a boil in a small saucepan. Add quinoa, cover tightly with a lid, and cook over a low flame until all water is absorbed, about 15 minutes.
- Take saucepan off heat and let stand covered for an additional 10 minutes.
- Using a fork, fluff quinoa and transfer to a large mixing bowl. Combine with all remaining ingredients except avocado. Taste and season with more salt or lime juice, if needed.
- To serve, top salad with avocado.