These banana oatmeal breakfast cookies are vegan, gluten-free, and low in sugar. Perfect for breakfast on-the-go or midday snacking.
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal *(see note below)
- 1 cup almond flour
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 3 tablespoons arrowroot starch*
- 1/3 cup roasted hazelnuts, roughly chopped*
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped dark chocolate (about half a standard bar)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 really ripe banana
- 1/4 cup raw sugar
- 1/4 cup melted unrefined coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir together 1 tablespoon flaxseed meal with 3 tablespoons water. Let stand while you prep the other ingredients, at least 5 minutes. The mixture should thicken and become slightly gelatinous (this is known as a “flax egg”).
- In a large bowl, combine 1 cup almond flour, 3/4 cup oats, 3 tablespoons arrowroot, 1/3 cup hazelnuts (chopped), 1/3 cup chopped chocolate, 1 teaspoon baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Whisk to combine.
- In a medium shallow bowl, mash 1 banana with a fork until completely smooth. Add 1/4 cup sugar, 1/4 cup melted coconut oil, 1 teaspoon vanilla, and the flax mixture. Stir to combine. Scrape the banana mixture into the flour mixture and fold with a rubber spatula until no dry spots remain.
- Using an ice cream scoop, portion the cookies onto the prepared baking sheet, spacing them about 2 inches apart. Gently press on each cookie with your palm to flatten slightly.
- Bake until lightly golden on top and around the edges, 17 to 20 minutes.
- Cool completely before storing in an airtight container, with a paper towel between the layers to absorb excess moisture. Store at room temp for up to 3 days, or in the fridge for 5-7 days.
- Flax is used as a vegan egg substitute here. If you eat eggs, feel free to skip this step and whisk 1 large egg into the wet ingredients (step 4) instead.
- Feel free to sub with cornstarch.
- Feel free to sub with roasted almonds, pecans, or walnuts.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 210
- Fat: 14.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 19.7 g
- Fiber: 2.6 g
- Protein: 4.1 g
Keywords: almond flour, hazelnuts, oats, breakfast, cookies