A festive arugula salad with roasted sweet potatoes, apple, cranberries, and almonds.
For the Salad
- 1 medium sweet potato, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds* (see note below)
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- One 5-ounce clamshell arugula*
- 1 tart green apple (like Granny Smith), cored and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
For the Dressing
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon or brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon mayo
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup or honey
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- Place the sweet potatoes on a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle with a tablespoon of oil, and sprinkle with pinches of salt and pepper. Toss to coat, then arrange in a single layer. Roast until golden brown, about 25 minutes, tossing once about halfway through. (Cool to room temperature before adding to the salad.)
- Meanwhile, place 1/4 cup almonds in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat. Toast until golden and fragrant, tossing frequently, 4 to 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- Place the sliced onion in a small bowl of cold water and soak while you prep the remaining ingredients (at least 10 minutes).
- To make the dressing, combine all the dressing ingredients in a small jar, close tightly with a lid, and shake vigorously to combine. Alternatively, whisk everything together in a bowl.
- When ready to serve the salad, in a large bowl, combine the arugula, the sliced apple, drained onions, cooled sweet potatoes, toasted almonds, and 1/4 cup cranberries. Drizzle with the dressing and toss to coat. Transfer to a serving platter and serve immediately.
- You can sub the almonds with pine nuts or chopped walnuts.
- You can sub the arugula with baby spinach.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of the recipe
- Calories: 160
- Fat: 10.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 17.6 g
- Fiber: 2.6 g
- Protein: 2 g
Keywords: thanksgiving, salad, arugula, sweet potato