Basil, cashews, miso, lemon juice, and EVOO are all you need to make the best vegan pesto in under 10 minutes.
- 3 packed cups basil leaves (about 1 large bunch)
- 1/3 cup raw cashews
- 1 medium garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons white miso
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- In a food processor (see below for blender instrux), combine the basil with 1/3 cup cashews and 1 garlic clove. Pulse until everything is broken down.
- Then add 2 teaspoons miso, 2 teaspoons lemon juice, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and a few grinds of pepper. With the motor running, gradually stream in 1/3 cup olive oil and puree until smooth. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed.
- Scrape the pesto into a small container and close with an airtight lid. Keep in the fridge for 2 to 3 days – or freeze for up to 3 months.
Although a food processor is best, you can make pesto in a blender: combine all the ingredients in the blender at once and puree until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides often. This method may require a bit more oil.
- Serving Size: 2 tablespoons
- Calories: 107
- Fat: 11 g
- Carbohydrates: 2.1 g
- Protein: 1.2 g
Keywords: vegan, pesto, basil, cashews, italian