This recipe is adapted from The Brown Betty Cookbook (John Wiley & Sons, 2012).
- 1 ½ c all-purpose flour
- 1/3 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- 4 oz butter, at room temperature
- 1 c sugar
- 2 eggs + 1 egg yolk
- ½ tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp lemon zest
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1/3 c + 2 tbsp buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- In a bowl, whisk together flour, salt, baking powder and soda. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter until light and fluffy, and add sugar. Beat until smooth. Then add eggs, one at a time, beating until incorporated after each addition. Then beat in vanilla, lemon juice and zest.
- Alternate between adding dry ingredients and buttermilk, starting and ending with dry ingredients, in two additions.
- Pour batter into greased loaf pan. Bake for 1 hour, or until golden brown and an inserted toothpick comes out clean.