Black beans and plantains are one of my all-time favorite pairings. Try them in these easy 30-minute bowls with guacamole.
For the Bowls
- 2 yellow plantains with brown spots, cut into diagonal 1/2-inch-thick slices* (see note below)
- About 3 tablespoons cooking oil of your choice
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 medium shallot, finely diced (or 1/2 small red onion)
- Two 15-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed (or 3 cups home-cooked beans)
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro*
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime or lemon juice (about 1 lime)
For the Guacamole
- 2 ripe avocados, pitted and peeled
- 2 tablespoons finely diced red onion
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (about 1 lime)
- 1 tablespoon minced cilantro
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-low heat and add enough oil to generously coat the bottom. Add the plantains in a single layer (you’ll likely have to do this in 2 batches) and cook until golden*, about 3 minutes. Then flip with tongs and cook the other side. Transfer to a plate and season with salt.
- Add about a tablespoon more oil to the pan (if needed) and return to medium-low heat. Add the shallot with a pinch of salt and cook until soft, 3 to 5 minutes. Then add the beans, and 1 teaspoon each of paprika and cumin. Cook until warm, about 3 minutes.
- Turn the heat off, add the cilantro and scallions, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Lastly, make the guacamole. In a medium shallow bowl, mash the avocados with a fork until smooth. Then stir in the remaining ingredients and season to taste with salt.
- To serve, divide the beans and plantains among 4 bowls, and add dollops of guac.
- If you can’t find yellow plantains, buy green ones and leave them at room temp for a few days/weeks to ripen. It’s also not a crime to make this dish with green plantains.
- If you don’t like cilantro, sub with parsley.
- Sweet plantains can go from golden to burnt quickly, so keep an eye on them.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 545
- Fat: 26.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 67.7 g
- Fiber: 20 g
- Protein: 14.3 g
- Cholesterol: 0 g
Keywords: black beans, plantains, guacamole, vegan