Inspired by Greek “gigantes plaki”, these creamy braised beans are cooked in the oven with tomato sauce and oregano. Serve with zucchini noodles, whole wheat pasta, or polenta.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- ¾ teaspoon salt, divided, plus more to taste
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 pound dried large lima beans (sometimes labeled butter beans), soaked overnight or for at least 8 hours, drained, and rinsed (See Note #1)
- One 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- About 3 cups vegetable stock (low sodium, if possible)
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Minced Parsley, for garnishing
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF.
- In a Dutch oven or another large heavy-bottomed, high-sided, oven-safe pot (see Note #2), heat the oil over medium-low heat. Add the onion and ¼ teaspoon salt and cook until soft and translucent, stirring frequently to prevent browning, 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add the garlic, oregano, and paprika, and cook for 30 seconds. Then add the beans, tomatoes, just enough stock to fully submerge the beans, pepper, and the remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Cover tightly with a lid and bring to a boil over high heat. Transfer to the oven and cook until the beans are creamy and tender, about 1 hour and 15 mins (the cook time may be shorter or longer depending on the age of your beans).
- Taste the beans and season with more salt, if needed. Garnish with parsley before serving.
- If you didn’t have a chance to soak the beans overnight, you may soak them using the Hot Soak method by placing the beans in a pot, covering them with boiling water, and letting them stand for 1 hour. Then drain the beans and proceed with the recipe.
- If you don’t own an oven-safe pot, you may start the recipe in any large high-sided pot, then transfer the contents to a baking dish (such as a glass Pyrex), and cover it with foil before placing in the oven.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of the recipe
- Calories: 313
- Carbohydrates: 57 g
- Fiber: 16.8 g
- Protein: 16.9 g
Keywords: greek, braised, beans, tomato, oregano