These vegan braised lentils with red wine call for just 5 ingredients, 1 pot, and 25 minutes of cooking time – perfect for weeknights or meal prep.
- 1 cup green lentils, picked through for stones and rinsed
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth (low sodium, if possible), or 1 cup of each
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 3 medium garlic cloves, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme (or dried rosemary or Herbes de Provence)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt, plus more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Serving suggestions: fried egg + grilled bread; roasted sweet potatoes + arugula + balsamic; polenta + herbs
- In a medium pot, combine the lentils, water or stock, wine, garlic, and thyme. Cover tightly with a lid and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook with the lid ajar until the lentils are cooked through but still retain their shape, adding more water if the lentils begin to dry out, about 25 minutes (the cook time may vary depending on your lentils’ age).
- Strain the lentils if there is liquid left over. Stir in the oil, salt, and pepper. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 239
- Carbohydrates: 30 g
- Fiber: 14.6 g
- Protein: 12.4 g
Keywords: lentils, red wine, vegan, beans, legumes