For the pesto:
- 1 large bunch parsley, tough stems removed
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1 large garlic clove, roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons white miso (shiro miso)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the pasta:
- Sea salt
- 1 10-ounce bag Modern Table Meals’ Mixed Lentil Penne
- 1 large bunch broccoli rabe, ends trimmed
- 3 large garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Shaved Parmesan, to serve (*optional)
To make pesto:
- Place parsley leaves, walnuts and chopped garlic into a food processor; pulse until ground. Add miso, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste. With the motor running, stream in oil; puree until smooth. Taste and season with more salt or lemon juice, if needed. Set pesto aside.
To make pasta:
- Bring two medium pots of salted water to a rolling boil.
- Cook pasta in one pot until al dente, about 8 minutes. Reserve a cup of the cooking water before draining, and drain pasta. Set aside.
- Chop broccoli rabe stems into 3/4″ pieces and leave leaves whole. Prepare an ice bath for the rabe. Cook rabe in the other pot of water for 2 minutes (it should remain bright green and crunchy after cooking). Drain and immediately transfer to ice bath to stop the cooking process.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add sliced garlic and cook until it’s starting to brown, about 3 minutes, being careful not to burn. Using a slotted spoon, transfer garlic onto a paper towel-lined plate. Add pinch of red pepper flakes to skillet.
- Squeeze as much moisture out of broccoli rabe as possible and add to skillet. Cook just until warmed through. Turn heat off and stir in pasta and pesto. If mixture appears dry, add a few tablespoons reserved pasta water. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer pasta to a serving platter; top with reserved garlic chips and Parmesan, if using.