These tofu and cabbage bowls with carrots and soy-ginger dressing are an easy one-pan meal that’s big on flavor. Ready in under 40 minutes!
For the Bowls
- One 14-ounce block extra-firm tofu
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Extra virgin olive oil, for frying
- 3/4 pound green cabbage, shredded (about 3 cups)
- 3/4 pound purple cabbage, shredded (about 3 cups)
- 3 small carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- Cilantro, for serving
- Toasted sesame seeds, for serving
For the Sauce
- 1-inch knob of ginger, peeled and minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 medium garlic clove, crushed or grated
- 3 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup or honey
- Start by pressing the tofu: Drain the tofu and place it on a plate, then top with another plate or cutting board and weigh it down with something heavy like a couple of cans, to squeeze out as much water as possible. Let stand for 15 to 30 minutes, periodically draining off the excess water.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the garlic powder, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Undo the tofu contraption and slice the tofu into 8 slabs; cut each slab on a diagonal, creating 16 triangles in total. Arrange the triangles in an even layer on the cutting board and sprinkle with half of the spice blend.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium heat and add enough oil to lightly coat the bottom. Arrange the tofu in the skillet in a single layer seasoned-side down. Season the other side with the remaining spice blend. Fry the tofu until the underside is golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Gently flip the triangles and cook the other side for 5 to 7 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, make the Sauce: In a bowl, whisk together the ginger, garlic, rice vinegar, soy sauce, sesame oil, curry paste, and maple syrup.
- Take the tofu out of the skillet and set aside. Raise the heat to medium-high and add a splash more oil, if needed. Add the cabbages and carrots and cook until they’re starting to soften and brown, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add half of the sauce, toss to combine, and turn the heat off.
- To serve, divide the vegetables among 2 plates and top with the tofu. Sprinkle with cilantro and sesame seeds and serve with the remaining sauce.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 260
- Fat: 16.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 20.9 g
- Fiber: 6 g
- Protein: 12.9 g
Keywords: cabbage, tofu, soy sauce, ginger, vegan