These vegan chickpea chocolate chip cookies with sea salt are soft, slightly chewy, and not cloyingly sweet.
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal or ground chia seeds* (see note below)
- 1 1/2 cups chickpea flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 cup raw sugar*
- 1/2 cup melted unrefined coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup chopped dark chocolate like Lindt (about 1/2 standard bar) or chocolate chips
- About 1 heaping teaspoon flaky sea salt (like Jacobsen or Maldon), for sprinkling
- In a medium bowl, stir 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal with 6 tablespoons water and let stand while you prep the rest of the ingredients, about 5 minutes. This should form a gel-like consistency known as a “flax egg.”
- In a large bowl, whisk together 1 1/2 cups chickpea flour, 1 teaspoon baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- To the bowl with the flax, add 1/2 cup sugar, 1/2 cup melted oil, and 1 teaspoon vanilla. Whisk to combine. Add to the flour mixture and fold to combine. When the mixture is homogenous, fold in 1/3 cup chocolate chunks. Place the dough in the fridge to firm up for 30-60 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Scoop the dough into golf ball-sized balls, roll between your palms, and place on the prepared baking sheet, spacing 1-2 inches apart. Lightly press on each cookie to flatten it a bit. Sprinkle each cookie with flaky salt. Bake for 12-14 minutes. (If the cookies look a little underdone, that’s okay.)
- Remove from the oven and let stand for about 15 minutes before serving – the cookies will firm up as they cool. Cool completely before storing in an airtight container. Leftovers may be kept at room temp for up to 3 days or in the fridge for up to 7.
- Ground flaxseeds work as an egg substitute here; ground chia seeds will work the same. If you eat eggs, you can skip this step and whisk 2 large eggs into the wet ingredients (step 3) instead.
- You can sub raw sugar with coconut sugar or maple crystals. White sugar will work, too.
- If you don’t have coarse salt, sprinkle lightly with regular salt instead.
- Serving Size: 1 cookie
- Calories: 170
- Carbohydrates: 15.4 g
- Fiber: 1.6 g
- Protein: 3.1 g
Keywords: chickpea flour, gluten free, vegan, cookies, chocolate