This vegan cookie cake is [slightly] adapted from Naturally, Delicious by Danny Seo (2016, Pam Krauss Books | Avery). When buying the chickpeas, look for “no salt added” on the label – like Eden Organic or Whole Foods’ 365 brands.
- Two 15-ounce cans “no salt added” chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 3 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 cup turbinado (raw) sugar, plus 1 tablespoon for sprinkling
- One 3.5-ounce bar dark chocolate, roughly chopped OR 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line a round cake pan with parchment paper; set aside.
- In a food processor, combine the chickpeas, oats, applesauce, coconut oil, vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and 1 cup sugar. Puree until smooth and homogeneous. Remove the processor blade and stir in the chocolate by hand.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared cake pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon of sugar. Bake until the cake is browned around the edges and golden on top, 40-50 minutes. Cool the cake for about 15 minutes – it will firm up a bit as it cools.
- Place a large plate on top of the cake and flip to invert it onto the plate. Gently peel off the parchment paper. Place a serving plate on top of the inverted cake and flip again so the cake is right side up. Slice into wedges and serve. (Store leftovers in the fridge.)
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 299
Keywords: chickpeas, vegan, cookie cake, chocolate, vegan dessert