These decadent, no-bake coconut chocolate balls are a mini version of homemade Bounty. Just 5 vegan ingredients and zero refined sugar.
- 2/3 cup unsweetened finely-shredded coconut
- 1/4 cup softened coconut butter (see Note)
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate chips or chunks (milk or white chocolate also OK)
- Flaky sea salt
- In a medium bowl, combine the coconut flakes, butter, maple syrup, and vanilla. Using a rubber spatula, stir until the mixture is evenly combined.
- Line a small baking sheet or tray with parchment paper.
- Pluck a small amount of the coconut mixture from the bowl and gently press together with your fingers to form a ball. Place on the prepared tray, gently pressing on the ball to create a flat surface for it to stand on. Repeat with the rest of the mixture.
- Place the tray in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes to harden up the balls.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate. Bring about 2 inches of water to a simmer in a medium pot. Set a dry heatproof bowl over the pot, making sure the water is not touching the bottom of the bowl. Place the chocolate in the bowl and let it melt slowly, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes – keeping the water at a bare simmer.
- Take the coconut balls out of the freezer, dip the tops into the chocolate, and place back on the tray. Refrigerate for about 5 minutes, until the chocolate is starting to set but it still tacky.
- Lightly sprinkle each ball with salt. Continue refrigerating the balls until the chocolate is totally set, 15 to 30 minutes.
- Store the balls in the fridge in an airtight container for up to several weeks. If you have time, let the balls sit at room temperature for about 10 minutes before eating.
To melt coconut butter, bring about 4 inches of water to a boil in a medium pot. Turn the heat off. Stand the jar of coconut butter upright in the water. Set aside for about 10 minutes. Lift the jar out of the water. Using a butter knife, carefully give the butter a good stir. It should become creamy and pourable. If there are still lumps of solid butter, return the jar to the water for another 5 minutes and repeat the procedure.
- Serving Size: 1 ball
- Calories: 100
Keywords: bounty, candy, chocolate, coconut, coconut butter