Cold peanut noodle salad is a light yet satisfying one-bowl meal for hot summer days. Feel free to sub in whatever fresh veg you have on-hand, like carrots, radishes, cabbage, or bok choy.
- 8 ounces brown rice noodles (see below for substitutions)
- 3/4 cup frozen shelled edamame (or peas)
- 1/2 cup well-stirred natural peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar (see note below)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh peeled and minced ginger
- 1 small garlic clove, crushed or grated
- 1/4 cup filtered water
- 2 small cucumbers, partially peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cups sliced scallions (or chopped cilantro or basil)
- 1/2 cup kimchi, roughly chopped
- Sesame seeds, for garnishing
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the noodles and cook according to package directions. Toss in the edamame in the last minute of cooking.
- Drain the noodles and rinse under cold running water while separating the strands with your fingers to wash off any excess starch.
- While the noodles are cooking, make the sauce. In a medium bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup peanut butter, 3 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 tablespoons vinegar, 1 tablespoon sesame oil, 1 tablespoon minced ginger, and 1 crushed garlic clove until completely smooth. Then add 1/4 water water and whisk vigorously until combined.
- In a large bowl, combine the noodles and edamame with the peanut sauce, cucumbers, peppers, and scallions. Mix with tongs until the noodles are evenly coated.
- Transfer to a serving platter and top with chopped kimchi and sesame seeds. (Leftovers may be refrigerated for up to 4 days).
- You can use virtually any noodles you have: rice noodles, soba, lo mein, ramen, or udon. Even fettuccine will work in a pinch.
- This is rice vinegar with salt and sugar added to it. As a substitute, use plain rice vinegar OR lemon/lime juice + a splash of maple syrup/honey.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 480
Keywords: peanut salad, noodles, vegan, cucumber, sesame