This creamy vegan tomato-basil soup relies on the convenience of canned tomatoes and the richness of coconut milk.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 small carrots, peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more to taste
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano or Italian seasoning
- One 13-ounce can full-fat unsweetened coconut milk
- 4 cups mushroom or vegetable broth
- One 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 3/4 cup brown rice* (see note below), rinsed in a mesh strainer
- About 10 large basil leaves
- In a large heavy-bottomed pot, heat 2 tablespoon oil over medium-low heat. Add the onions and carrots with 1/4 teaspoon salt, and cook until the vegetables are soft and the onion is translucent, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in 3 minced garlic cloves, 2 tablespoons tomato paste, and 1 teaspoon dried oregano, and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Add the coconut milk and 4 cups broth. Tear the tomatoes into rough chunks and add them to the pot with all the juice from the can. Season with lots of black pepper. Cover tightly with a lid and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low and add the rinsed 3/4 cup rice. Simmer gently with the lid ajar until the rice is cooked through, about 40 minutes. Stir occasionally to make sure the rice isn’t sticking to the bottom.
- Turn the heat off and add the basil. Using an immersion blender, puree until smooth*. Season to taste with salt.
- Brown rice has fiber and protein, plus minerals like iron and magnesium. If you need to prioritize speed over nutrients, use white rice instead and shave down ~20 minutes of cooking time.
- If using a standard upright blender, purée in two batches. Remember to take out the removable center of the lid beforehand and cover the opening loosely with a kitchen towel while blending. If the steam gets trapped inside, the lid will blow off, potentially staining your kitchen and causing skin burns.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of the recipe
- Calories: 315
- Fat: 20 g
- Carbohydrates: 31.8 g
- Fiber: 4.4 g
- Protein: 5 g
Keywords: creamy, vegan, tomato, soup, coconut milk