With just a bit of meal prep in advance, this crispy brown rice bowl comes together seamlessly on any weeknight.
For the Bowl
- 1 ¼ pounds beets (about 6 small beets), scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 4 cups cooked long grain brown rice, cold from the fridge
For the Spiced Pepitas
- 1/2 cup raw pepitas (a.k.a. pumpkin seeds)
- 1/2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Pinch of fine sea salt
For the Tahini Dressing
- ¼ cup well-stirred tahini
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- About ¼ cup filtered water
- Place the beets in a medium pot and add enough water to cover by about 1 inch. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer with the lid ajar until the beets are tender, about 25 minutes (large beets may take up to 45). Drain the beets and run the pot under cold water. Let the beets stand in cold water until they’re cool enough to handle. (You may cook the beets up to several days in advance.)
- Meanwhile, prep the seeds. Place the seeds in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat. Toast, tossing occasionally, until the seeds are fragrant, lightly browned, and making a slight crackling sound, 4 to 5 minutes. Turn the heat off, add the oil, and toss to coat. Then season with the paprika, garlic, and salt, and toss to coat. (These seeds will keep in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 2 weeks).
- Make the dressing. In a bowl, combine the tahini, garlic, lemon juice, 2 tablespoons of water, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Whisk until the sauce is smooth and has a pourable consistency (at first it may seem lumpy, but keep whisking and it’ll come together); add more water if needed. Taste and adjust the seasonings if needed. Set aside. (This will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days).
- Peel the beets – at this point the beet skins should be easy to slip off with your hands (wear gloves if you don’t want your fingers to turn pink). Slice the beets into bite-size chunks and toss with 1 tablespoon of the oil, 1 tablespoon of the parsley, lemon juice, and salt.
- Lastly, heat the remaining tablespoon of oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the rice and spread into an even layer. Cook until it’s crispy all over, 8 to 10 minutes, tossing once or twice while cooking.
- To serve, divide the rice among 4 bowls, top with the beets, sauce, parsley, and seeds.
- Calories: 505
- Fiber: 8.6 g
- Protein: 12.9 g
Keywords: brown rice, beets, tahini, pumpkin seeds, vegan