Curried Chickpea Salad is a light and easy hors d’oeuvre you can prepare in advance, or put together quickly even on a weeknight. Chickpeas cooked from scratch are more delicious, but you may use canned when in a pinch. The recipe yields more salad than you’ll need for the appetizer; you can have the leftovers with greens, in a grain bowl, or a sandwich.
- 3 cups cooked* chickpeas (if using canned, be sure to drain and rinse them)
- 1 small shallot, finely diced
- 2 heaping tablespoons white raisins
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayo
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ¾ teaspoon curry powder
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 small heads of Belgian endive, trimmed, leaves separated and cleaned
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped cilantro, to garnish
- In a large bowl, stir together the chickpeas, shallot, raisins, mayo, mustard, lemon juice, curry powder, salt, and pepper. Taste and adjust seasonings, if needed. (Prepared salad can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 3 days).
- To serve, spoon about 1 tablespoon of the salad into each endive spear and place on a serving platter. Garnish with cilantro.
*To cook dried chickpeas, soak them overnight or for at least 8 hours. Drain and replace with fresh water. Add 1/2 teaspoon salt, cover tightly with a lid, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the chickpeas are soft, 40-60 minutes.
- Serving Size: 2 pieces
- Calories: 175
- Fiber: 9 g
- Protein: 8.6 g