This healthy vegan banana bread calls for whole wheat flour, uses heart-healthy coconut oil, and has a minimal amount of sugar.
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal (ground flaxseeds)* (see note below)
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (aka white whole wheat flour)*
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, plus more for sprinkling (optional)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup raw turbinado sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened unflavored non-dairy milk
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil*
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a standard loaf pan with coconut oil and set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal with 1/3 cup water, and set aside for 5 to 10 minutes while you prep the rest of the ingredients. The mixture should thicken and take on a gel-like consistency.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 2 cups flour, 1/2 cup walnuts (if using), 2 teaspoons baking powder, and 1/2 teaspoon each baking soda and salt.
- Place 3 bananas in a separate medium bowl and mash with a fork until smooth. Add 1/3 cup each sugar, milk, and oil, and 1 teaspoon vanilla, plus the flaxseed mixture. Stir to combine.
- Add the banana mixture to the flour mixture and fold just until combined, being careful not to over-mix. Transfer to the prepared loaf pan and sprinkle with walnuts, if using. If you want, slice an additional banana in half lengthwise and press it into the top.
- Bake until golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out dry or with a few crumbs, 55 to 65 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the pan for about 15 minutes, then turn out onto a cooling rack or cutting board and cool completely before slicing.
- If you prefer to use eggs, sub the flax with 2 large eggs and add them in step 4.
- If you don’t have whole wheat pastry flour, use half all-purpose and half regular whole wheat flour – or all all-purpose.
- Use virgin coconut oil if you like the flavor of coconut. If you don’t, use refined coconut oil (it’s neutral).
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 270
Keywords: banana bread, vegan, healthy, whole wheat, coconut oil