This healthy vegan banana bread calls for whole wheat flour, uses heart-healthy coconut oil, and has a minimal amount of sugar.
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal (ground flaxseeds)
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (aka white whole wheat flour) (See Note)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 very ripe bananas (plus 1 more to garnish, if desired)
- 1/2 cup raw (turbinado) sugar or dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup melted coconut oil
- 1/4 cup unsweetened unflavored non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a standard loaf pan with coconut oil and set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir the flaxseed meal with 6 tablespoons of water and let stand while you prep the rest of the ingredients, 5 to 10 minutes. This should form a gel-like consistency known as a “flax egg.”
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, walnuts (if using), baking soda, and salt.
- Place the 3 bananas in a separate medium bowl (a shallow one, preferably) and mash with a fork until smooth. Add the sugar, oil, milk, vanilla, and the flaxseed mixture, and stir to combine.
- Add the banana mixture to the flour mixture and fold just until combined, being careful not to over-mix. Transfer the batter to the prepared loaf pan. If adding the extra banana on top, halve it widthwise and press into the top of the batter.
- Bake until the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs, about 50 minutes.
- Allow to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn it out onto a cooling rack or cutting board and cool completely before slicing.
If you can’t find whole wheat pastry flour, use half all-purpose and half regular whole wheat flour. Just all-purpose works too.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 270
Keywords: banana bread, vegan, healthy, whole wheat, coconut oil