This hearty vegan tempeh Bolognese is perfect for cozy winter nights. Serve it over roasted spaghetti squash, pasta, zucchini or sweet potato noodles, mashed potatoes, or other purées.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- One 8-ounce package of tempeh, crumbled into small bits
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ¾ cup dry red wine
- One 14-ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- Chopped parsley, for serving
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onion with a pinch of salt and cook until softened, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Raise the heat to medium and add the tempeh. Cook until you start seeing some browned crispy bits, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Then add the mushrooms, garlic, oregano, salt, nutmeg, and pepper and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Add the wine and cook for about 2 minutes, until the wine reduces a bit. Add the tomatoes and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cover the skillet tightly with a lid, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed. Garnish with parsley.
- Calories: 260
- Fiber: 2.8 g
- Protein: 14 g
Keywords: vegan, tempeh, mushrooms, red wine, bolognese