A vegan kale fennel salad with oranges, almonds, and a simple shallot vinaigrette. Bookmark it for your next dinner party!
For the Dressing
- 1 small shallot or 1/2 large, finely diced* (see note below)
- 2 tablespoons mild vinegar (like red wine or apple cider)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon or brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- A few grinds of black pepper
For the Veg
- 1 small bunch curly kale (about 6 medium leaves), stemmed and chopped into small bits
- 1 small fennel bulb, very thinly sliced*
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and grated (1 cup)
- 1 orange, peeled and cut into bite-size bits
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- To make the dressing, place all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk to combine.
- In a large bowl, combine kale and fennel, and drizzle with 3/4 of the dressing. Massage with your hands until the kale is soft, juicy, and bright green, about 2 minutes. Then toss in the carrots.
- Transfer veg to a serving platter, scatter the oranges on top, and drizzle with the remaining dressing. Top with almonds.
- You can sub the shallot with a few tablespoons of diced red onion.
- If you don’t like fennel, use radishes.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of the recipe
- Calories: 157
- Fat: 9.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 16.5 g
- Fiber: 6.1 g
- Protein: 5.8 g
Keywords: kale, fennel, orange, salad