This super simple lemon garlic kale with tomatoes and red onion calls for just 6 ingredients and 10 minutes on the stove.
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small tomato, finely diced
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1 small bunch curly kale, stemmed and torn into small bits
- The juice of 1/4 of a lemon
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large skillet. Add the onion and cook until it’s starting to soften and brown, about 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato, 3 minced garlic cloves, 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and a few grinds of pepper. Cook until the tomato gets soft and juicy, about 2 minutes more.
- Place the kale on the tomato mixture and add a splash of water, about 3 tablespoons. (Don’t bother stirring at this point.) Cover the skillet tightly with a lid and steam until the kale is wilted and bright green, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Uncover and toss the kale to combine it with the tomato mixture. Turn the heat off and squeeze the lemon over the kale (see note below). Toss one more time. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed.
The lemon will turn the kale brown after some time – it’ll still taste the same, just not be as pretty. If you’re not serving the kale right away, hold off on the lemon until you’re ready to serve.
- Calories: 80
- Carbohydrates: 10.5 g
- Fiber: 1.5 g
- Protein: 3 g
Keywords: kale, garlic, lemon, side dish, vegan