- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal (ground flaxseeds)
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 ¼ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ¼ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon fine salt
- 3 very ripe bananas
- ⅓ cup organic raw sugar
- ⅓ cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- ⅓ cup melted unrefined coconut oil, plus more for greasing the pan
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a small bowl, stir together the flax and water, and let stand while you prep the rest of the ingredients. It should thicken within 5 to 10 minutes – this mixture is known as a “flax egg”.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, oats, almonds, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, mash the bananas with a fork until smooth. Add the sugar, milk, oil, vanilla, and the flax mixture, and whisk to combine. Fold the banana mixture into the flour mixture, being careful not to over-mix.
- Return half of the batter to the empty bowl from the banana mixture. Add the chocolate chips and cocoa powder and fold just until combined.
- Lightly grease a standard-size loaf pan with coconut oil. Using a large spoon, layer alternating dollops of the beige batter and the chocolate batter into the loaf pan. (Don’t worry about smoothing the layers). Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs.
- Allow the bread to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then remove it from the pan and cool completely (or for as long as you can wait before digging in).
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 275
- Fiber: 4.6 g
- Protein: 4.2 g
Keywords: banana, banana bread, chocolate, vegan, almonds