These marinated beets with cashew “ricotta” are a sophisticated, yet simple-to-make, restaurant-inspired side dish.
For the Ricotta
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon white miso
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, or more to taste
For the Beets
- 1 1/2 pounds beets (about 2 medium beets), scrubbed
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/3 cup roasted hazelnuts, walnuts, or pistachios, roughly chopped
- 2 tablespoons sliced basil (cut into thin ribbons)
- Start with the ricotta. Place the cashews in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Soak for at least 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the beets in a medium pot and add enough water to cover by 1 inch. Cover with a lid and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to low and simmer with the lid ajar until the beets can be pierced easily with a paring knife, about 25 minutes (large beets may take up to 45).
- Drain and run the pot under cold water. Let the beets stand in cold water until they’re cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, finish the ricotta. Drain the cashews and place in a food processor or Vitamix. Add the lemon juice, miso, garlic, and salt. Pulse until everything is broken down. Add 1/2 cup water and continue pureeing until the mixture is creamy and homogeneous but not totally smooth (it should resemble ricotta, basically). Taste and adjust the seasonings if needed.
- At this point, the beets’ skins should easily slip off. Keeping the beets in the pot, peel them by pushing the skins off with your fingers.
- Cut the beets into 1-inch chunks and place in a mixing bowl. Add the oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Set aside for at least 20 minutes (or up to 2 days) to marinate.
- To serve, swoosh the ricotta on a serving platter and pile the beets on top. Garnish with the hazelnuts and basil. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of the recipe
- Calories: 330
- Fat: 25 g
- Carbohydrates: 23.6 g
- Fiber: 3.7 g
- Protein: 8.3 g
Keywords: beets, cashews, hazelnuts, basil, ricotta