This super simple Mexican-ish tofu scramble is a hearty, high-protein vegan breakfast. Serve with sourdough toast or warm tortillas.
- One 14-ounce block of extra firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons avocado or organic canola oil (or other neutral-tasting oil)
- 1/2 medium onion, diced
- 1 red or green bell pepper, diced
- Fine sea salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- Cilantro or scallions, for serving
- Start by pressing the tofu: Drain the tofu and place it on a plate, then top it with another plate or cutting board and weigh it down with something heavy, like a couple of cans, to squeeze out as much water as possible. Let stand for 15 to 30 minutes, periodically draining off the excess water.
- After it’s pressed, crumble the tofu with your fingers into small bits.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onion and bell pepper with a pinch of salt, and cook until softened and starting to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the paprika, garlic, turmeric, pepper flakes, and black pepper, and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Add the tofu to the pan and stir to coat in the seasonings until it is yellow throughout. Season with lime juice and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook to warm through, 3 to 5 minutes. Turn the heat off. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed. Garnish with cilantro before serving.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 140
- Carbohydrates: 3.9 g
- Fiber: 1.3 g
- Protein: 8.4 g
Keywords: mexican, tofu, scramble, breakfast