This lemony pasta with leeks and peas is a light springtime meal. Comes together in just 30 minutes!
- 1 large leek, white and green parts
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Fine sea salt, to taste
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 8 ounces fettuccine (or egg noodles)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, plus extra for serving
- Zest of half a lemon (about 1/2 teaspoon)
- Begin by cleaning the leek: Trim the root end, as well as a few inches off the dark green portion (just the part that looks bruised/dry), and discard. Halve the stalk lengthwise and slice into 1/3-inch-thick half-moons. Place the sliced leeks in a big bowl of water and swirl them around, separating the layers with your fingers to release all the dirt. (If the water seems really dirty, repeat the process again.) Lift out the leeks with your fingers and set aside. (Don’t bother drying them off).
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the leeks with 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook until they’re browned, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
- Add the peas and black pepper to the leeks and cook just until the peas are bright green, about 1 minute. Turn heat off.
- Generously salt the boiling water and cook the pasta according to package directions until al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup of the cooking water and drain the pasta. (I like to break the pasta in half so it’s easier to incorporate into the sauce, but I know some people view that as heresy!)
- Turn the burner under the leeks back on to medium heat. Transfer the pasta to the skillet with the leeks along with the nutritional yeast, lemon zest, the reserved pasta water, and the remaining tablespoon of oil. Toss to combine. Taste and adjust the seasonings if needed. Serve immediately, with extra nutritional yeast and pepper for sprinkling, if desired.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 337
- Fat: 11.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 51.4 g
- Fiber: 4.6 g
- Protein: 9.5 g
Keywords: leek, pasta, peas, vegan