This weeknight-friendly vegetarian banh mi features marinated portobello mushrooms, quick-pickled carrots, spicy mayo, cucumbers, and cilantro.
For the Quick-Pickled Carrots
- 3/4 cup seasoned rice vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into thin matchsticks
For the Sandwiches
- 2 medium portobello mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 1 large garlic clove, crushed or grated
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small cucumbers (preferably Persian), sliced lengthwise paper-thin
- 1/2 packed cup cilantro leaves
- 2 Vietnamese baguettes or Portuguese rolls, lightly toasted (See Note)
- Start with the carrots: In a jar or bowl, whisk together the vinegar and water. Add the carrots, making sure all the pieces are submerged. Let stand while you prep the rest of the ingredients. (These will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 10 days.)
- Prep the mushrooms: Clean the mushroom caps with a damp paper towel. Using a spoon, gently scrape out the gills and discard. Trim the stems.
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the soy sauce and garlic. Add the mushrooms and massage to coat in the marinade. Let stand for 10 to 15 minutes, turning the mushrooms once halfway through to ensure they’re marinating evenly.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir together the mayo and hot sauce. Taste and add more hot sauce if you prefer more heat. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Discard excess marinade from the mushrooms and place them in the skillet. Cook 3 to 4 minutes per side (thicker mushrooms need more time than thinner ones), until the ‘shrooms are softened and lightly browned. Remove from the skillet and set aside for 5 minutes to allow the juices to redistribute. Then slice the mushrooms into 1/3-inch-thick slices.
- To serve, divide the spicy mayo among the rolls and layer in the cucumbers, mushrooms, carrots, and cilantro. Serve immediately.
I like to toast these rolls whole, in a preheated 325ºF oven for 5 to 7 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1 sandwich
- Calories: 395
- Fiber: 4.3 g
- Protein: 9.1 g
Keywords: banh mi, portobello, mushroom, sandwich, vietnamese