Browsing through gorgeous mounds of summer produce at the greenmarket, hauling home tote bags full of veggies, and thinking up new recipes as I go has been one of my favorite pastimes this summer. Cooking these little purple potatoes, flavored with bright cilantro and garlic and gently perfumed by lemon, I envisioned myself enjoying them on the French riviera instead of my fifth floor walk-up in Queens. This purple potatoes recipe is beautiful but simple enough to make after work, and can elevate the most mundane of weeknights.
Because of their modest side, young potatoes (also known as new or baby potatoes) cook faster. They’re sweeter than Idaho potatoes and have a creamy interior. Purple potatoes are more visually striking but if you can’t find them, any young potatoes will do for this recipe. These would make a great side dish for grilled meat or fish.
Pan-Fried Purple Potatoes with Cilantro Gremolata
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Total Time: 20 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: Sides
This simple purple potatoes recipe can elevate the most mundane of weeknight dinners, and would be great at your next oceanside picnic, too.
- 1 pound small purple potatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- Sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup finely chopped cilantro
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Zest of 1/2 lemon
- Thoroughly wash potatoes and pat dry with paper towels. Cut into 1″ pieces – either halving or quartering potatoes, depending on their size.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until potatoes can be pierced with a fork with little resistance, about 10 minutes. Uncover and cook until browned throughout, about 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine cilantro, garlic, lemon zest and remaining tablespoon oil.
- Toss hot potatoes with cilantro gremolata. Taste and season with salt, if needed. Serve hot or at room temperature.
- Calories: 153
- Sodium: 125 g
- Fiber: 1.4 g
- Protein: 2.7 g