This endive and radicchio salad with oranges and grapefruit is a refreshing way to kick off spring.
For the Salad
- 1 orange
- 1 grapefruit
- 1 head of Belgian endive, cut into 1/2-inch-thick half-moons
- 1 small or ½ medium head of radicchio, cored and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- ½ head of baby romaine lettuce, shredded (or 1 cup chopped regular romaine)
- ⅓ cup toasted sliced almonds
For the Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 2 teaspoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon white miso
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Start by prepping the citrus. Trim the orange at both ends and stand it up on a flat side. Run a sharp knife around the outside to remove all the peel and pith, turning the fruit as you go. Then slice the bare orange into 1/4-inch-think rounds and then into half-moons. Repeat with the grapefruit.
- Make the vinaigrette. In a medium bowl, combine the lemon juice, maple syrup, mustard, miso, salt, and pepper. Whisk to combine. While continually whisking, slowly stream in the oil.
- Assemble the salad. Scatter half of the endive, radicchio, lettuce, citrus, and almonds on a serving platter and drizzle with half of the vinaigrette. Top with a second layer of the vegetables and citrus, drizzle with the remaining vinaigrette, and top with the almonds. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of the recipe
- Calories: 147