A mayo-less raw broccoli salad that’s as easy to make as throwing a bunch of stuff in a bowl (literally).
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced
- 3 cups roughly chopped broccoli (about 1 medium head)
- 1/2 cup pitted calamata olives, halved lengthwise
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted* (see substitutions below)
- 1/4 packed cup parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 small garlic clove, grated, crushed, or finely minced
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard*
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or honey
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Place the onions in a small bowl, cover with cold water, and set aside for at least 10 minutes while you prep the other ingredients.
- In a large bowl, combine the broccoli, olives, almonds, and parsley.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the garlic, vinegar, oil, mustard, maple syrup, salt, and a generous amount of black pepper.
- Drain the onions and add to the broccoli mixture.
- Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss vigorously to coat everything evenly. Taste and adjust the seasonings if needed. Let stand for 10 minutes before eating, if possible.
- To toast raw almonds, put them in a dry skillet over low heat and cook, tossing frequently, until fragrant – 3 to 5 minutes. As a sub, you can use chopped walnuts, pecans, or pistachios.
- Brown or whole grain mustard also OK.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 170
- Fat: 13.7 g
- Carbohydrates: 8.9 g
- Fiber: 3.1 g
- Protein: 3.4 g
Keywords: vegan, raw, healthy, broccoli, salad