Roasted eggplant and tomatoes with pesto make a great side dish – or building block for pastas, sandwiches, and even lasagna! (Adapted from The Plant-Based Cookbook by Deliciously Ella)
For the Vegetables
- 2 small eggplants (about 1 ¼ pounds), cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 teaspoons coarse sea salt or Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
For the Pesto
- 3 packed cups basil leaves (about 1 large bunch)
- 1 medium garlic clove, roughly chopped
- ⅓ cup toasted pumpkin seeds (See Note)
- 1 teaspoon miso
- ¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Arrange the eggplant in a single layer in a 9”x13” glass or ceramic baking dish (like Pyrex). Sprinkle with the coarse salt and let stand until you see tiny moisture bubbles on the surface, 10 to 15 minutes. (This draws out the eggplant’s excess moisture and bitterness.)
- Pat the eggplant dry with paper towels. Toss with 1 tablespoon of the oil. Cover tightly with foil and roast until the eggplant is starting to soften, about 25 minutes. Then add the tomatoes and remaining tablespoon of oil, and toss to combine. Continue roasting, uncovered, until the vegetables are soft and golden brown, about 25 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, make the pesto. In a food processor, combine the basil, garlic, seeds, and miso. Pulse until everything is broken down. With the motor running, gradually stream in the oil and lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper. Puree until smooth. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed.
- Transfer the vegetables to a serving platter and dollop with the pesto. Serve warm or at room temperature.
If you don’t have pumpkin seeds, feel free to sub in pine nuts, walnuts, or almonds. To toast the seeds, place them in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat. Toast, tossing occasionally, until they’re fragrant, lightly browned, and making a slight crackling sound, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of the recipe
- Calories: 197
- Carbohydrates: 9.3 g
- Fiber: 4.4 g
- Protein: 3.4 g
Keywords: eggplant, tomatoes, basil, pumpkin seeds, pesto