Contrary to popular belief, French toast isn’t just a vessel for maple syrup. Inspired by Russian “grenki“, this savory French toast is versatile enough for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, and various savory toppings. My mom used to make this as a snack/small meal for my sister and I whenever we had day-old bread laying around.
She served the grenki with a thin slather of mayo and a generous sprinkling of grated Russian cheese – with a side of tomatoes and/or cucumbers in the summertime. I doctored up her savory French toast with a little mayo-Dijon special sauce and a flurry of freshly grated Parmesan. The success of this recipe depends almost entirely on the quality of the bread you use (I’m currently obsessed with the sourdough whole wheat boule from Breads Bakery here in NYC). Don’t try to make this savory French toast with something like Wonderbread since a heartily-textured bread is really key. I realize I’m #blessed to be surrounded by fancy bakeries, but if you’re not so lucky, find the absolute best bread you can at the bakery section of your local supermarket.
The success of this savory French toast depends almost entirely on the quality of the bread you use. Don’t try to make it with something like Wonderbread since a heartily-textured bread is really key.
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Four 3/4″-thick slices of whole wheat sourdough or country-style bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- In a medium shallow bowl, beat together the eggs, milk, salt, and pepper until thoroughly combined.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and melt the butter. Working with one piece at a time, soak the bread in the egg mixture for a few seconds on each side until it is fully hydrated. Place the bread into the skillet and repeat with remaining slices (depending on the size of the skillet, they may have to be cooked in batches). Fry until golden brown, 2-3 minutes per side.
- In the meantime, in a small bowl, stir together the mayo, mustard, garlic powder, and a pinch of pepper.
- To serve, slather the sauce on warm French toast and sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 229