This savory French toast with Dijon mayo, nutritional yeast, and tomato-basil salad is a great way to use up leftover sourdough bread.
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup unsweetened unflavored non-dairy milk (I recommend Oatly)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 1/3”-thick slices sourdough, ciabatta, or other crusty, country-style bread
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- About 5 basil leaves, cut into thin strips
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Nutritional yeast, for sprinkling
- In a shallow bowl, beat together the eggs and milk with pinches of salt and pepper until thoroughly combined.
- Heat about 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Working with one piece at a time, soak the bread in the egg mixture for a few seconds on each side until saturated but not soggy. Place in the skillet and repeat with the remaining slices, cooking the toast in batches in a single layer. Fry until golden brown, 2-3 minutes per side.
- Meanwhile, place the tomatoes and basil in a bowl and toss with a pinch of salt and a drizzle of oil.
- In a small bowl, stir together the mayo, mustard, and a pinch of pepper.
- To serve, slather the mayo mixture on the toasts, sprinkle with nutritional yeast, and top with the tomato-basil mixture.
- Serving Size: 1/2 of the recipe
- Calories: 515
Keywords: french toast, bread, vegetarian, tomato, russian