These savory hand pies are my vegan take on the classic beefy version.
- 2 sheets puff pastry dough, thawed
- 1 1/4 pounds cremini mushrooms, stems trimmed
- About 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- A few tablespoons all-purpose flour, for rolling out dough
- Sesame seeds, for sprinkling (optional)
- If your puff pastry is frozen, leave at room temp while making the filling.
- If you have a food processor, fit it with the blade attachment. Halve the mushrooms and pulse them in 3-4 batches until the bits are roughly the size of lentils. If you don’t have one, mince the mushrooms with a knife instead.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large high-sided skillet over medium-high heat and add the mushrooms, carrot, onion, garlic, thyme, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook until all the liquid is evaporated and the mushrooms are lightly caramelized, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes.
- To the mushrooms, add 1 cup peas, and 1 tablespoon each tomato paste and soy sauce. Stir to incorporate. Turn the heat off and season to taste with salt and pepper. Set filling aside to cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- When ready to fill the pies, sprinkle a little flour on your counter and roll the first sheet of dough into an approximately 12×16” rectangle (see above for rolling tips). Cut the rectangle into 4 square-ish pieces.
- Working with one at a time, transfer a piece of dough to a parchment paper-covered baking sheet. Place 2 heaping tablespoons of filling on the bottom half of the dough, leaving a 1/2-inch border. Dip your finger in water and brush the border to wet the edges. Then fold the top side over the filling. Using a fork, press the edges closed. Repeat with the remaining pieces of dough, then roll out the second sheet of puff pastry and repeat.
- With all the sealed pies on the baking sheet, using a small knife, cut an X in the center of each pie (to release steam during baking). Brush lightly with oil, sprinkle with sesame seeds if using, and bake until golden, about 25 minutes. Serve warm.
- Serving Size: 1 pie
- Calories: 360
- Fat: 24.9 g
- Carbohydrates: 29.4 g
- Fiber: 2.6 g
- Protein: 6.3 g
Keywords: vegan, savory, mushroom, hand pie, puff pastry