Scaccia Ragusana is a traditional, rustic Sicilian tomato and cheese pie.
- 1 1/2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
- 1 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 cup water
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 2 ounces basil, torn
- Freshly ground black pepper
- About 1 cup grated Caciocavallo Ragusano, Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese
- Whisk the flours together in a large bowl and make a well in the center. Add the salt and 2 tablespoons of the oil and rub the flour and oil together with your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse peas.
- Start adding the water, about 2 tablespoons at first, and start kneading. Continue gradually adding water and kneading until the dough is soft, smooth and no longer sticky. Cover the dough with a kitchen towel and let rest at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of the oil in a saucepan. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, season with salt and pepper, and cook until thickened and reduced a bit, about 10 minutes. Stir in the basil. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 500ºF.
- Cover a large work surface with a large sheet of parchment paper, sprinkle with a bit of flour to prevent sticking, and transfer the dough to the surface. Cover the dough with a second piece of parchment and roll into a large thin rectangle. Spread a thin layer of sauce all over the dough and lightly sprinkle with the cheese. Fold the left and right sides of the dough to meet in the middle and top with another thin layer of sauce and cheese. Then fold the top and bottom edges to meet in the center and top with more sauce and cheese. Lastly, fold the pie over into a roulade and transfer the pie with the bottom piece of parchment paper onto a baking sheet. (Save the remaining sauce for dipping.)
- Bake for 10 minutes. Then reduce oven temperature to 400ºF and bake until the dough is cooked and lightly charred, about 50 minutes more. Cool before slicing.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 253
Keywords: scaccia, ragusana, sicilian, tomato pie