Make a double batch of the sesame ginger sauce and keep it in the fridge for drizzling on basically everything, or for marinating tofu, tempeh, or vegetables.
For the Bowl
- Sea salt, to taste
- ½ cup quinoa (See note below)
- ½ cup millet
- 1 large head of broccoli, cut into florets (See note below)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 bunch curly kale, stemmed and torn into bite-size bits
- 2 cups thawed shelled organic edamame
- 1/4 head purple or green cabbage, finely shredded (about 2 cups) (See note below)
For the Sesame Ginger Sauce
- 1 large garlic clove, finely minced
- 1-inch knob of fresh ginger, peeled and finely minced
- 3 tablespoons avocado, organic canola, or another neutral-tasting oil
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon natural peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup or honey
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- Bring 1 3/4 cups water to a boil in a small pot. Season with 1/4 teaspoon salt and add the quinoa and millet. Reduce the heat to low, cover tightly with a lid, and simmer until all the water is absorbed, 20 to 25 minutes – do not stir during cooking. Then turn the heat off and let stand covered for 10 more minutes to steam.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 400ºF. Place the broccoli on a large baking sheet and drizzle with the oil. Season with the paprika, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and pepper. Toss to coat and arrange in a single layer. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, tossing once halfway through cooking, until the broccoli is brown and crispy.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing. In a bowl, whisk together the garlic, ginger, oil, vinegar, soy sauce, peanut butter, maple syrup, and sesame oil. Taste and adjust the seasonings if needed. (The dressing can be refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 10 days).
- Right before serving, place the kale in a bowl and drizzle with a tiny bit of the dressing. Using your hands, massage the kale for 1 minute, until it is wilted.
- Divide the kale among 4 bowls and top with the grains, broccoli, edamame, and cabbage. Sprinkle with sesame seeds if you want and serve with the dressing.
- Feel free to use either quinoa or millet – or another grain like brown rice, barley, or farro.
- Instead of broccoli, feel free to use cauliflower, Brussels sprouts, carrots, or sweet potatoes. They can all be cooked the same way.
- For uniformly shredded cabbage and to save time, use your food processor fitted with the shredding attachment.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe with dressing
- Calories: 488
- Carbohydrates: 55.1 g
- Fiber: 10.1 g
- Protein: 18.1 g
Keywords: grain bowl sauces, sesame, ginger, sauce, broccoli