Shiitake bacon works best as a garnish, on basically anything that could use an extra hit of savoriness, be it avocado toast, scrambled tofu, or a creamy soup.
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive, avocado, or canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Place the mushrooms on a large, rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle with the oil and sprinkle with salt. Using your hands, toss the mushrooms to coat them evenly. Arrange in a single, even layer.
- Roast for 25 to 30 minutes, turning the mushrooms with a spatula once or twice while cooking, until they take on a deep brown color and savory, bacon-y smell.
- Remove from the oven and set aside to cool for about 10 minutes. The “bacon” will crisp as it cools.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of the recipe
- Calories: 45
- Sodium: 185 g
- Fat: 3.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 3.9 g
Keywords: shiitake, vegan bacon, mushrooms