This vegan Sick Day Soup is an Asian-inspired non-chicken alternative to the classic.
- 3/4 pound udon noodles (preferably fresh)
- One 14-ounce block extra firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 8 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and cut into half-moons on a diagonal
- Pinch of fine sea salt
- 8 medium garlic cloves, halved
- 2 tablespoons peeled and minced ginger
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 quart mushroom broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon white miso
- 4 cups stemmed and torn curly kale
- Chopped scallions and sesame seeds, for serving
- Cook the noodles according to package directions. Rinse under running water and set aside.
- Press the tofu: Drain the tofu and place on a plate. Top it with another plate or cutting board and weigh it down with something heavy like a couple of cans, to squeeze out as much water as possible. Let stand for 15 to 30 minutes, periodically draining off the excess water. (Alternatively, use a tofu press.)
- Meanwhile, heat both oils in a Dutch oven or another large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add the mushrooms, carrots, and salt, and cook until they start to soften and lightly brown, about 8 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and pepper flakes, and cook for 1 minute more.
- Add the broth, water, soy sauce, and lime juice. Cover and bring to a boil. Then simmer with the lid ajar over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cut the tofu into small cubes.
- In a small bowl, combine a few ladlefuls of hot broth from the pot with the miso. Whisk to dissolve the miso. Set aside.
- Add the kale and tofu to the pot and cook for about 3 minutes, just to wilt the kale and warm the tofu.
- Turn the heat off. Add the miso slurry. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed.
- Serve the soup over noodles and garnish with scallions and sesame seeds.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of the recipe
- Calories: 340
- Fiber: 5.7 g
- Protein: 17.3 g
Keywords: noodle soup, vegan, sick, tofu, kale