This Thai curry with noodles is the perfect healthy-ish weeknight comfort food. Faster than take-out and packed with healthy vegetables!
- One 14-ounce block extra firm tofu
- About 4 tablespoons avocado, refined coconut, or organic canola oil
- Fine sea salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 bell pepper, ribs and seeds removed, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 medium red or yellow onion, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 2 small carrots, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-inch knob of ginger, peeled and minced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste, to taste
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 cups bite-size broccoli florets
- One 13-ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, or more to taste
- 16 ounces fresh ramen noodles (See Note)
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- Basil, cilantro, or scallions, for serving (optional)
- Start by pressing the tofu: Drain the tofu and squeeze out some of the water by pressing on the block with your palms. Place the tofu on a plate then top it with another plate or cutting board and weigh it down with something heavy (like a couple of cans) to squeeze out as much water as possible. Let stand for 15 to 30 minutes, periodically draining off the excess water.
- Cut the tofu into 1/2-inch cubes and season with salt and pepper on one side.
- In a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat, heat enough oil to generously coat the surface. Add the tofu in a single layer, seasoned side down, then season the top-facing side. Cook the tofu until it forms a golden brown crust, turning the cubes periodically to brown most of the sides, about 12 minutes total. Set tofu aside.
- Meanwhile, bring a pot of water to a boil for the noodles.
- In a large high-sided saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons oil over high heat. Add the zucchini, bell pepper, onion, and carrots, and cook until the vegetables are starting to brown in places, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Stir in the curry paste, tomato paste, garlic, and ginger, and cook for 1 minute. Then add the broccoli, coconut milk, and lime juice. Bring to a simmer and cook covered until the broccoli is bright green, about 3 minutes more. Turn the heat off, taste, and adjust the seasonings if needed. Stir in the tofu.
- Cook the noodles according to package directions. Drain and immediately toss with the sesame oil.
- To serve, divide the noodles among bowls and top with the curry. Sprinkle with herbs if you want.
Fresh ramen (found in the refrigerated section of the supermarket, or in Asian markets) is the perfect noodle for this sauce, but you can also use whatever you have: rice noodles, udon, bucatini, or spaghetti.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 590
Keywords: thai, curry, noodles, tofu, vegan