Looking for a simple way to use up that pre-made polenta you got at the store? These easy baked polenta rounds with creamy mushroom sauce are an ultimate 30-minute-meal.
- 1-pound tube pre-cooked polenta
- About 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 10 ounces cremini mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- Fine sea salt, to taste
- 1 cup milk* (see note below)
- 1 tablespoon white miso*
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, oregano, or Herbes de Provence
- 1/4 cup dry white wine (optional)*
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425ºF. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut polenta into 1/2-inch-thick rounds and arrange in a single layer on the baking sheet. Brush lightly with olive oil. Bake until lightly golden around the edges, about 20 minutes. (You can broil it for a few minutes in the end if you want.)
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium heat and add a glug of oil. Add the onions and mushrooms with pinches of salt and pepper. Cook until the vegetables are softened and starting to brown, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add 1 tablespoon miso to 1 cup of milk. Let stand for a few minutes to soften, then whisk to dissolve.
- Stir the garlic into the vegetables, as well as 1 tablespoon flour and 1 teaspoon dried herbs. Cook for about 30 seconds. Then stir in 1/4 cup wine (if using – if not, skip to step 6) and cook for about a minute to evaporate the alcohol.
- Stir in the milk mixture and bring to a simmer. Cook over low heat until the sauce thickens, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and stir in the parsley and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Taste and adjust the seasonings if needed.
- Serve over polenta.
- Milk: I use full-fat oat milk, but feel free to use almost any unsweetened, unflavored plant milk here (except for almond – it’s overpowering). If you have whole dairy milk, you can use that too.
- Miso: You can sub with an equal amount of nutritional yeast.
- Wine: If you don’t have any, just skip it.
- Serving Size: 1/2 of the recipe
- Calories: 410
- Fat: 15.5 g
- Carbohydrates: 56.2 g
- Fiber: 4.7 g
- Protein: 10.3 g
Keywords: tube, premade, polenta, mushrooms