- 1 cup all-purpose flour (See Note)
- ½ cup coarse or medium grind cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut flakes
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, ginger, turmeric, salt, and nutmeg, and whisk to combine.
- In a blender, combine the coconut, milk, maple syrup, lemon juice, and vanilla. Blend for 30-45 seconds to break down the coconut flakes. Pour the coconut mixture into the bowl with the flour mixture and stir until no more dry flour remains and a thick batter forms.
- Grease a standard loaf pan (or 2 mini loaf pans) and transfer the batter into the loaf pan. Bake for about 40 minutes (or 35-40 minutes for mini loaves), or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or with a few crumbs. Cool for at least 15 minutes before slicing.
If you want to make this a little healthier, switch out the AP flour for whole wheat pastry flour. Just keep in mind that the texture will be a bit denser and crumblier.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 185
- Fiber: 2.5 g
- Protein: 2.7 g
Keywords: snack, cake, turmeric bread, turmeric, coconut