This Ukrainian leek salad makes for a crunchy and refreshing side dish.
- 1 large or 2 small leeks, white and green parts
- 1 large or 2 small carrots, peeled and grated (about 1 cup)
- 1 granny smith apple (or another tart apple variety), cored and cut into matchsticks
- ¼ cup vegan mayo
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Start by cleaning the leek: Trim the root end of the leek, as well as 1-3 inches of the dark green portion (just the part that looks bruised and/or dry), and discard. Halve the stalk lengthwise and cut the leek into thin half-moons.
- Place the sliced leeks into a big bowl of water and swirl them around with your hands to release all the dirt. Lift the leeks out of the water and place back onto your cutting board. Drain the water and replace with new water. Repeat the process once or twice more until the leeks are clean and there’s no more dirt.
- In a large bowl, combine the leeks, carrot, apple, mayo, salt, and pepper. Toss to combine. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of the recipe
- Calories: 120
Keywords: leeks, salad, vegan, Ukrainian