This Ukrainian leek salad with carrots and apples is a crunchy and refreshing side dish. Think of it as a spicy cabbage-less coleslaw.
- 1 large or 2 small leeks, white and green parts
- 1 large or 2 small carrots, peeled and grated (about 1 cup) *(see note below)
- 1 tart apple, cored and cut into small bits
- 1/3 cup mayo or sour cream, or a mix of both (traditional or vegan)
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Start by cleaning the leek: Trim the root end, as well as 1-3 inches off the dark green part (just whatever looks bruised/dry, see note below). Halve the stalk lengthwise and cut into thin half-moons.
- Place leeks in a big bowl of water and swirl around with your hands while separating the layers to release all the dirt. Lift the leeks out of the water and place back onto your cutting board. If the water looks really dirty, repeat the process with new water.
- Transfer the leeks to a large mixing bowl and combine with the remaining ingredients. Season to taste and serve immediately.
- To speed up the grating process, use your food processor with the shredding attachment to prep the carrots.
- If the leek is young and fresh, the dark parts can be eaten raw, too. With more mature leeks, the dark greens can be too spicy and fibrous (hard to chew). In that case, trim them off and save for a potato-leek soup, pasta, or scrap broth.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of the recipe
- Calories: 120
Keywords: leeks, salad, vegan, Ukrainian