Let’s deconstruct the beloved BLT sandwich into a dinner-worthy salad. Make it before summer’s over! (Psst… This post is sponsored by LightLife®. Thank you for supporting the brands that support The New Baguette.)
This colorful BLT salad – inspired by the eponymous sandwich – is the ultimate end-of-summer meal. It’s packed with crunchy, creamy, and chewy textures, and is entirely plant-based thanks to LightLife® Smart Bacon, which adds the smoky, “meaty” element. Pro tip: make extra vinaigrette – it’s perfect on practically any salad.
What’s In This BLT Salad
This refreshing salad consists of romaine lettuce, heirloom tomatoes, and avocado. Garlicky skillet croutons and a creamy homemade vinaigrette take it to the next level, and are so much tastier (and healthier) than their store-bought counterparts. The star of the show is LightLife’s plant-based bacon, which creates that signature BLT vibe with its crispy texture and smoky flavor.
How to Make a Vegan BLT Salad
Step 1: Cook the Smart Bacon.
Heat a bit of oil in a skillet over medium heat and cook the bacon 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove to a plate; it will crisp up more as it cools.
Step 2: Make the croutons.
Add a bit more oil to the same skillet and add cubed whole wheat bread. Season with salt and garlic powder, and cook, tossing frequently, until it’s golden and crispy all over, about 5 minutes.
Step 3: Make the vinaigrette.
Combine all the dressing ingredients in a jar, close tightly with a lid, and shake to incorporate. Alternatively, combine everything in a bowl and whisk to incorporate.
Step 4: Assemble the salad.
When ready to serve, arrange the lettuce, tomatoes, avocados, and croutons on a large platter. Drizzle with the vinaigrette and sprinkle with chopped Smart Bacon.
Like most summer salads, this BLT salad is best eaten right away, since the leftovers will get soggy. If you want to prep ahead, make the croutons, and keep them in an airtight container at room temp for up to 1 day. The dressing will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 10 days.
More summer salads…
The Full Recipe
Let me know if you try this salad! Give it a rating below and leave a comment, and don’t forget to tag your creation with @thenewbaguette on Instagram.Print
A deconstructed version of the classic summer sandwich.
For the Salad
- About 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 slices LightLife® Smart Bacon
- 2 slices whole wheat bread, cubed
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- Fine sea salt, to taste
- 1/2 head of romaine lettuce, thinly sliced
- 1 large heirloom tomato, cut into wedges
- 1 small ripe avocado, thinly sliced
- Fresh basil, for garnishing (optional)
For the Dressing
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vegan mayo
- 1 tablespoon Dijon or brown mustard
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or honey
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat a small drizzle of olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Arrange the Smart Bacon in a single layer and cook for 2-3 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add a generous glug of oil to the same skillet and add the bread. Season with garlic powder and salt, and cook, tossing frequently, until golden and crispy, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the dressing. Combine all the ingredients in a small jar, close tightly with a lid, and shake until creamy and homogenous. Alternatively, combine the ingredients in a bowl and whisk to incorporate.
- When the bacon has cooled, chop it into small bits.
- To assemble the salad, place the lettuce on a large platter, then arrange the tomatoes and avocados on top. Sprinkle on the croutons and chopped bacon, and drizzle with the dressing. Garnish with basil and serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 1/4 of the recipe
- Calories: 300
- Sodium: 390mg
- Fat: 26.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.1 g
- Fiber: 5.1 g
- Protein: 6 g
Keywords: vegan, BLT, salad, avocado