This vegan broccoli potato soup has just 6 simple ingredients and is ready in under 40 minutes. It’s rich and velvety without any dairy.
If you’re looking for a rich and creamy, yet dairy-free broccoli potato soup, ding-ding-ding – we have a winner. Luxurious and easy don’t usually go hand in hand, but this soup is an exception to the rule. In fact, it’s probably one of the simplest recipes you’ll find on this entire website!
The Secret to This Vegan Broccoli Potato Soup
Contrary to popular belief, you don’t need heavy cream, cheese, butter, or even coconut milk, to make a creamy soup. The secret to this magical creation? The humble potato! After simmering and softening in the broth, the potato easily blends into the soup, creating a silky, velvety texture.
How to Make This Creamy Soup
- Sauté onions and garlic in olive oil until softened.
- Add broccoli, potatoes, veg broth, and non-dairy milk, and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Blend until creamy!
A Case For the Immersion Blender
Ya’ll know how much I love my food processor and regular upright blender, but my immersion blender (aka “stick blender” or “hand blender”) holds a special place in my heart. It’s a must-have for soup lovers because it’s…
- Space-efficient, taking up little more room than a ladle.
- Easy to use, since you put it directly in the pot and there’s no need for that messy, pot-to-blender transfer that results in splatters of hot soup everywhere.
- Safer for hot liquids than a standard upright blender. (see Safety Note in the recipe card below)
Don’t Toss That Broccoli Stalk!
Broccoli stalks are totally edible! Please stop throwing them away. They’re crunchy and fun and taste just like broccoli. To prep your broccoli stalk for cooking, simply stand it on its flat side, and slice off the outermost fibrous layer with a sharp knife. The pale green interior is edible and can be chopped and cooked with the rest of your broccoli.
Toppings for Vegan Broccoli Potato Soup
I love having a variety of textures in all my meals and creamy soups are no different. The way I see it, they should always have a crunchy garnish. Shiitake ‘bacon’ is the perfect match for this cream of broccoli soup. Other options are spiced pumpkin seeds, tortilla crisps, and homemade croutons.
More healthy soups this way…
- Massaman-ish Vegetable Curry
- Smoky Tempeh Chili with Tortilla Crisps
- 5-Ingredient Creamy Mushroom Soup
- Moroccan Lentil Soup
Let me know if you try this recipe! Give it a rating below and leave a comment, and don’t forget to tag your creation with @thenewbaguette on Instagram.Print
Vegan Broccoli Potato Soup
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 4–6 servings 1x
- Category: Soups
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
This healthy vegan broccoli potato soup has just 6 simple ingredients and is ready in under 40 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup unsweetened, unflavored non-dairy milk (like oat or cashew milk)
- 2 medium white potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 small crown of broccoli, cut into bite-size pieces (about 4 cups)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Shiitake bacon, for serving (optional)
- Heat the oil in a medium heavy-bottomed pot over medium-low heat. Add the onion and 1/4 teaspoon salt, and cook until it’s translucent, about 5 minutes. Then add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Add the broth, milk, potatoes, broccoli, pepper, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover tightly with a lid and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to low and gently simmer, covered, until the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Using an immersion or upright blender (see Safety Note below), puree until creamy. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed.
UPRIGHT BLENDER SAFETY NOTE: Since the soup is hot, it’s super important that steam has a way to escape the blender while you puree. Remember to take out the removable center of the blender lid before blending. If the steam is trapped inside, the lid will blow off when you press the ‘blend’ button and you’ll have soup all over your kitchen.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of the recipe
- Calories: 120
- Fat: 5.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 16.1 g
- Fiber: 3.4 g
- Protein: 3 g
Keywords: broccoli, potato, soup, vegan, no cheese