This healthy, vegan broccoli potato soup has just 6 simple ingredients and is ready in under 40 minutes.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 3/4 cup unsweetened, unflavored non-dairy milk (like oat or cashew milk)
- 2 medium white potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 small crown of broccoli, cut into bite-size pieces (about 4 cups)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Shiitake bacon, for serving (optional)
- Heat the oil in a medium heavy-bottomed pot over medium-low heat. Add the onion and 1/4 teaspoon salt, and cook until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Then add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Add the broth, milk, potatoes, broccoli, pepper, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cover tightly with a lid and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to low and simmer covered until all the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Using an immersion or upright blender (see Safety Note below), puree until creamy. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed.
BLENDER SAFETY NOTE: Since the soup is hot, it’s super important that steam has a way to escape the blender while you puree. Remember to take out the removable center of the blender lid before blending. If the steam is trapped inside, the lid will blow off when you press the ‘blend’ button and you’ll have soup all over your kitchen.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of the recipe
- Calories: 120
- Fat: 5.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 16.1 g
- Fiber: 3.4 g
- Protein: 3 g
Keywords: broccoli, potato, soup, vegan, no cheese