This creamy, dairy-free, vegan broccoli potato soup consists of easy-to-find ingredients and is super simple to make.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided, plus more to taste
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 3 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup unsweetened, unflavored non-dairy milk
- 2 medium white potatoes, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 small crown of broccoli, cut into bite-size pieces (about 4 cups)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Shiitake bacon, for serving (optional)
- Heat the oil in a Dutch oven or other heavy-bottomed pot over medium-low heat. Add the onion and salt, and cook until the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Then add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Add the broth, milk, potatoes, broccoli, and pepper. Cover tightly with a lid and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to low and simmer covered until all the vegetables are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Using an immersion or upright blender (see Safety Note below), puree the soup until creamy. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed.
BLENDER SAFETY NOTE: When using a standard upright blender to puree this soup (or anything else that’s hot), it’s super important that steam has a way to escape. Remember to take out the removable center of the blender lid before blending. If the steam is trapped inside, the top will blow off and you’ll have soup all over your ceiling.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of the recipe
- Calories: 120
- Fat: 5.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 16.1 g
- Fiber: 3.4 g
- Protein: 3 g
Keywords: broccoli, potato, soup, vegan, creamy