This decadent vegan flourless chocolate cake uses applesauce and flax in place of regular eggs. (Reprinted from The Complete Vegan Cookbook: Over 150 Whole Foods, Plant-Based Recipes and Techniques by the Natural Gourmet. Copyright © 2019 by Natural Gourmet Cookery Corporation. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC.)
- 3 tablespoons flaxseed meal (ground flax seeds)
- 7 ounces (two standard-size bars) vegan dark chocolate (72% cacao or higher), roughly broken into chunks
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup raw sugar or coconut sugar
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon finely ground coffee
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease the bottom and sides of a round 8- or 9-inch baking dish with coconut oil and line the bottom with a parchment paper round.
- In a large bowl, combine the flaxseed meal with 9 tablespoons of water. Let stand for 5 to 10 minutes while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Fill a medium pot with about 2 inches of water and bring to a simmer over high heat. Wipe a large heat-proof bowl (preferably a glass one) completely dry with a kitchen towel and put it on the pot over the simmering water, making sure the water is not touching the bowl. Reduce the heat to very low and put the chocolate in the bowl. Allow the chocolate to melt slowly, stirring as needed, until it’s completely melted and smooth. Carefully remove the bowl from the pot and set aside.
- To the bowl with the flax mixture, add the applesauce, sugar, cocoa powder, coffee, and salt, and stir to thoroughly combine. Stir in the melted chocolate. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish and bake until the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan, about 1 hour. Cool to room temperature then cover the baking dish with foil or plastic wrap and refrigerate to cool completely, for several hours or overnight. Cut into 16 triangles and serve.
Leftover cake may be stored tightly covered in the fridge for up to several days.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 114