Mashed avocado – along with almond milk, molasses, and coconut oil – gives this vegan gingerbread loaf its moist and cakey texture.
- 2 tablespoons flaxseed meal (ground flaxseeds)
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and pitted
- ¼ cup unsulphured molasses
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon raw sugar, divided
- ½ cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 2 tablespoons melted unrefined coconut oil, plus extra for greasing the pan
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Grease an 8-inch loaf pan with coconut oil and set aside.
- In a small bowl, stir the flaxseed meal with 6 tablespoons of water. Let stand while you prep the rest of the ingredients, 5 to 10 minutes. It should thicken and become a bit gelatinous – this is known as a “flax egg”.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg, and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium shallow bowl, mash the avocado vigorously with a fork until it’s completely smooth and there are no lumps. Add the molasses and stir to combine. Then add the ½ cup sugar, milk, coconut oil, vanilla, and the flaxseed mixture (don’t forget!). Whisk until well-incorporated. Transfer the avocado mixture into the flour mixture and fold just until combined. The batter will be quite thick – don’t be alarmed.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan, smooth the top, and sprinkle with the remaining tablespoon of sugar. Bake until a tester inserted into the center comes out dry, about 1 hour. Cool completely before slicing – about 1 hour.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 272
- Cholesterol: 0 g
Keywords: gingerbread, avocado, vegan baking