This umami-rich vegan mushroom gravy is made with shiitake mushrooms and miso.
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 small garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups filtered water
- 1 tablespoon white miso (Shiro Miso)
- 1 teaspoon red wine or apple cider vinegar
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onion, mushrooms, thyme, ¼ teaspoon salt, and pepper. Cook until the onions are translucent and the mushrooms browned, stirring occasionally, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 1 minute. Add the water and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to low, cover tightly with a lid, and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a blender (see Note), along with the miso and vinegar – make sure to take out the removable center of the blender lid before blending so the steam can escape. Blend until the gravy is smooth. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed. Serve hot.
If you don’t have a blender, you may use an immersion blender or food processor. Do not use a NutriBullet.
- Serving Size: 1/8 of the recipe
- Calories: 65
Keywords: thanksgiving, gravy, shiitake, vegan, mushroom