This creamy and comforting vegan potato gratin with cashew béchamel will be adored by everyone at your table.
- ¾ cup raw cashews
- 3 cups boiling water
- ¾ teaspoon fine sea salt, divided
- 2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon miso
- 1 garlic clove, crushed or grated
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast, divided
- 2 1/4 pounds Yukon Gold or butter potatoes (about 6 medium potatoes), peeled and very thinly sliced (*See Note)
- 3 tablespoons Panko breadcrumbs
- In a blender, combine the cashews and boiling water and let stand for 30 minutes to soak.
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF.
- Add ¼ teaspoon salt to the blender. Puree the cashew mixture until it starts to resemble milk and the nuts are pulverized, about 2 minutes. Strain the milk using a nut milk bag or a mesh sieve. (Reserve the cashew pulp for other recipes, if desired).
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk in the flour and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, whisking constantly – the roux should be a pale blonde color. Then whisk in the cashew milk. Bring the sauce to a boil over high heat, whisking frequently. Then reduce the heat to low and simmer until it is thick enough to coat the back of a wooden spoon, 3 to 5 minutes. Turn the heat off and whisk in the miso, garlic, rosemary, nutmeg, pepper, 1 tablespoon of the nutritional yeast, and the remaining ½ teaspoon salt. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed. (It’s okay if the sauce tastes a little too salty because it will flavor the potatoes).
- Place the potatoes in a high-sided baking dish. Pour the sauce over the potatoes and tap the dish on the counter a few times to help distribute the sauce to the bottom. Cover the dish with foil. Bake until the potatoes are cooked through and can be pierced with a paring knife, 50 to 60 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the bread crumbs with the remaining 1 teaspoon of oil, 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast, and a pinch of salt. Using your fingertips, rub the mixture together to combine.
- Remove the foil and sprinkle the potatoes with the breadcrumb mixture. Bake uncovered until the top is golden brown, 15 minute more. Let the potatoes stand for 5 minutes before serving.
*Keep peeled potatoes in a bowl of water to prevent them from browning.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of the recipe
- Calories: 244
- Carbohydrates: 35.5 g
- Fiber: 5.3 g
- Protein: 5.5 g
- Cholesterol: 0 g
Keywords: vegan, potatoes, cashews, thanksgiving, friendsgiving, gratin