This luscious creamy tomato pasta is coated in a rich vegan vodka sauce (made with canned tomatoes and cashews!).
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small or 1/2 medium yellow onion, finely diced
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt, plus more to taste
- One 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons white miso
- 1 pound short pasta, like cavatappi, rigatoni, or penne
- Minced parsley or basil, for serving
- Place the cashews in a bowl and add enough boiling water to cover. Soak for at least 30 minutes or up to a few hours.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil for the pasta.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the onion, garlic, pepper flakes, and salt, and cook until the onion is soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato sauce and black pepper, cover with a lid, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 8-10 minutes, until the sauce is a bit thickened.
- Meanwhile, drain the cashews and transfer to a blender or Nutribullet, along with the miso and 1 cup of filtered water. Blend until completely smooth and creamy. Add to the tomato sauce and stir to incorporate. Taste and season with salt, if needed. Turn the heat off.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions until al dente. Right before draining, reserve about 1 cup of the pasta-cooking water.
- Combine the hot pasta with the creamy tomato sauce and 3/4 cup of the reserved pasta water. Stir to combine. Add more pasta water if a creamier consistency is desired. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed. Serve immediately.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of the recipe
- Calories: 410
- Carbohydrates: 68.7 g
- Fiber: 5.8 g
- Protein: 8.3 g
Keywords: pasta, vodka sauce, creamy, tomato, cashews