This vegetarian bean chili is an easy one-pot meal made entirely with pantry staples. Perfect for weeknights, meal prep, or to freeze for later!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- Fine sea salt, to taste
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- One 14-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- One 14-ounce can pinto or kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- One 14-ounce can tomato sauce
- One 14-ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cut into ½-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon molasses (maple syrup also OK)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (lemon juice also OK)
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Cilantro, for serving
- Heat the oil in a medium pot over medium-low heat. Add the onion with a pinch of salt and cook until translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Then add the garlic, cumin, paprika, and pepper flakes, and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Add all the rinsed beans, tomatoes, sweet potatoes, molasses, lime juice, black pepper, and about ½ cup water. Stir to combine, making sure all the beans and potatoes are submerged – if not, add a bit more water. Cover and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to low and simmer until the potatoes are cooked through, 25 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust the seasonings, if needed. Garnish with cilantro.
- Serving Size: 1/6 of the recipe
- Calories: 250
- Fiber: 10.6 g
- Protein: 8 g
Keywords: chili, beans, vegan, sweet potatoes